|HOME ABOUT US DRUG DEMAND REDUCTION US DRUG LEGISLATION RESOURCES ACTIVITIES LINKS CONTACT/JOIN|
Since 2002, twenty-four Forjando Liderazgo events have been conducted in Argentina, impacting an estimated 7,857 participants and their communities. DPNA/RIPRED’s main partner in the Forjando Liderazgo seminars and curriculum has been the Instituto de Drogadependencia of the Universidad del Salvador of Buenos Aires, under the leadership of Dr. Juan Alberto Yaria and Dr. Guillermo Fernandez D’Adam. Many of the presenters and inspiration for the creation of materials for this initiative have resulted from this partnership. In the spring of 2007, a memorandum of understanding with the Universidad del Salvador (USAL) was signed that forged a partnership to have the university adopt DPNA/RIPRED’s Forjando Liderazgo curriculum and incorporated into the Master’s level drug prevention course. In 2007, USAL recognized two DPNA/RIPRED members for their invaluable contributions in the arena of drug prevention with a most prestigious designation. The prominent title of honorary professor was bestowed upon Calvina L. Fay of the United States and Mina Seinfeld de Carakushansky of Brazil by USAL on February 13, in Buenos Aires, Argentina. This honor was bestowed by USAL’s Rector, Dr. Juan Alejandro Tobias, after having been approved by the entire Congregacion of the University. Professors Fay and Seinfeld de Carakushansky have been asked to return to USAL at least once a year to teach and share their knowledge and expertise.
Also, there was a two year scholarship program established for professionals from all over Argentina to obtain their Master’s Degree and complete the Forjando Liderazgo course at the Instituto de Prevencion de la Drogadependencia of USAL. This was a tremendous accomplishment because each one of the participants chosen is a leader in his/her city. Now, they have all had the opportunity to be taught by renowned and experienced faculty in the field of addiction.
In early 2008, DPNA/RIPRED members facilitated a memorandum of understanding between USAL and St. Petersburg College (SPC) in Florida. SPC already has in place many training courses and curricula related to drug prevention and interdiction, and they were thrilled to be able to create this new partnership with a world renowned university such as USAL to expand and further this work.
Many Forjando Liderazgo events have taken place over the years in Argentina, always with significant attendance and interested participants. The details are as follows:
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 200 participants in Cordoba, Argentina on May 8-10, 2003.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 120 participants in Buenos Aires, Argentina on June 25-26, 2003.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 200 participants in Buenos Aires, Argentina on November 12-14, 2003 with local partner, the Universidad del Salvador.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 120 participants in Ushuaia, Argentina on November 27-28, 2003, with local partner the Magistrate Association.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 225 participants in Rosario, Argentina on August 6-7, 2004.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 250 participants in Santa Fe, Argentina on November 4-5, 2004.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 500 participants in Buenos Aires, Argentina on November 10-11, 2004.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 300 participants in General Cabrera, Argentina on April 30, 2005.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 150 participants in Buenos Aires, Argentina on June 30, 2005. This event marked the formal launching of RIPRED Argentina.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 2,000 participants in Cordoba, Argentina on October 26-29, 2005 in conjunction with the NGO CAMBIO and its large prevention conference.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 420 participants in Pilar and Buenos Aires, Argentina on April 6-8, 2006. Local partner was the Universidad del Salvador and the Argentinean Drug Czar Dr. Jose Ramon Granero participated in the opening ceremony.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 200 participants in Las Varillas, Argentina on April 29, 2006. This event was held in conjunction with Padres en La Ruta and involved parents from approximately 40 cities in Argentina.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 80 chiefs of police in Cordoba, Argentina on May 4-5, 2006. This event generated greater than anticipated interest and resulted in a special evening session conducted for 40 intelligence officers in law enforcement in Cordoba.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 125 participants in Formosa, Argentina on May 15-16, 2006. Local partner was the Ministry of Human Development of Formosa, and the presentation team was invited by the police department to present an abbreviated Forjando Liderazgo seminar in the evening at the police headquarters for all of the police chiefs of the state.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 80 participants in San Juan, Argentina on May 18-19, 2006. Local partner was the Universidad Católica de Cuyo.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 125 participants in Santa Rosa, Argentina on May 29-30, 2006. Local partner was the NGO IPADES, and participants signed a declaration to establish Preventive Cities in the region.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 70 participants in Salta, Argentina on October 23-24, 2006.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 400 participants in Parana, Argentina on October 26-28, 2006.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 1,067 participants in Cordoba, Argentina on November 3-4, 2006. This seminar was for youth ages 15-18 who are leaders from 45 cities in Argentina, and the local partner for this event was the Cordoba Police Department.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 500 participants in Buenos Aires, Argentina on November 8-9, 2006.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 150 participants in Cordoba, Argentina on November 16-17, 2006.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 350 participants in Santa Fe, Argentina on May 17-18, 2007. This event was held in conjunction with the Universidad Nacional del Litoral.
• A Forjando Liderazgo event was held for approximately 65 participants in Mar de Plata, Argentina December 6-8, 2007.
The best examples for Preventive Cities achievements stem from Argentina and from Ecuador. In Argentina, the City of Salta has even inspired the publication of a book by USAL, and because of Forjando Liderazgo, a strong coalition of several NGOs and municipal government agencies in Salta under the leadership of DPNA/ RIPRED member Fanny Villamayor and Mr. Gonzalo Bello has been established.
In 2006, in the City of Pilar, Argentina, a new coalition of universities for drug demand reduction called Red de Universidades para la Prevención del Uso de Drogas (RUPRED) was established. There are currently more than 50 universities in this coalition. Each of the universities declared their desire to work as a coalition with common objectives related to drug demand reduction, and so The Declaracion de Pilar was signed.
In several other cities in Argentina, since the Forjando Liderazgo seminars, there are newly established coalitions of NGOs working together towards a healthier, drug free environment for their citizens (Examples: Santa Fe, Santa Rosa in La Pampa, Ushuaia). In Ushuaia, the Forjando Liderazgo local partner was the Government of Tierra del Fuego through the Association of Magistrates, and this event was jointly coordinated by DPNA/RIPRED Advisory Board member Dr. Roberto Maldonado of Buenos Aires and Dr. Mario Robio of Tierra del Fuego. This is important to note because since this event, these gentleman have been very strong partners and advocates of the Forjando Liderazgo methodology and practice.
DPNA/RIPRED Advisory Board member Dr. Roberto Maldonado, because of his experiences and work with Forjando Liderazgo, is working with The University of FASTA (Agrupaciòn de entidades Santo Tomàs de Aquino) of Mar del Plata to establish a memorandum of understanding with USAL of Buenos Aires on curricula related to drug demand reduction.
The state of Santiago del Estero in Argentina has expressed interest in playing a significant role in the drug demand reduction arena. Some professionals in the field participated in a Forjando Liderazgo seminar in Buenos Aires, and they requested further training for their colleagues who were not able to travel for the event. Dr. Roberto Maldonado and Dr. Sonia Herrero conducted a seminar for 300 students and professionals, and although the event was not an official Forjando Liderazgo training, they were both identified as Forjando Liderazgo presenters. The work and reputation of Forjando Liderazgo has been well established in Argentina and the region and has opened many doors for groups to work together that had not previously even had dialogue.
In the city of Mar del Plata, as a result of the December 2007 Forjando Liderazgo seminar conducted under the leadership of Jose Francisco Maldonado and Sonia Herrero, 130 neighborhood associations have started to work together for drug demand reduction and working towards becoming Preventive Neighborhoods. The academic world in Latin America has really embraced the study of drug policy, drug demand reduction and the social problems related to drug use. The Law School of the Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata has focused on the subject of “Effective Drug Policies” which has become an active one for coursework and university discussion. Similarly, through the Program of Education for Older People of the School of Health at this same university, many presentations have been made about the importance of establishing Preventive Neighborhoods. DPNA/RIPRED Advisory Board member Dr. Miguel Angel Dahbar of Cordoba has been an invaluable asset and scientific support in bringing these important issues to the forefront of academia and the community as a whole.
Forjando Liderazgo has also highlighted in its seminars the coalition of parent associations under the umbrella of "Padres en La Ruta" which is led by Mr. Roberto Malattini, Coordinator of Padres Preventores. This coalition is primarily based in the cities of General Cabrera and General Dehesa, but it has a very strong presence in more than forty different cities and is an important ally and example of success for Forjando Liderazgo trainings to model.
To maximize resources for many of the Forjando Liderazgo seminars, DPNA/RIPRED has oftentimes partnered with much larger events that are already well established.